Friday, February 13, 2009

Brion presented at Fosdem

FOSDEM is a great conference. I enjoy going there and this year one of the highlights was the message according to Brion. The title of his presentation is: "MediaWiki's big code and usability push".

There are a few REALLY relevant things in his presentation. The one that really thrilled me was that Brion stated that Semantic MediaWiki is mature software and, that it has a priority for him to provide a final evaluation of this code. An endorsement like this was not something that I expected.

The interface optimised for mobile phones was another thing that I found interesting. My initial impression was that only English is supported. This turned out not to be the case. Several languages are already supported. It turns out that there are a set of values that need to be known to make Wikipedia content available for other languages.. When there is a clear specification, it should be possible to support many many more Wikipedias.

There is much more in the presentation and yet more was discussed. Fosdem was awesome... Berlin is next in April, I expect it to be Wunderbar.
Thanks,
GerardM

No comments: