Thursday, February 22, 2007

Mother language day

Yesterday, it was the International Mother Language Day. There is a program in Paris with all kinds of speeches and happenings. I read the program, I know some and I know about some of the people involved. I wish I was there. I wish they recorded some of the speeches, presentations.

One thing I find funny is that UNESCO indicates that there are some 6000 languages where SIL indicates the existence of over 7000 languages and where the ISO-639-6 will know at least 25.000 linguistic entities .. :) I wonder if they need to be emancipated so that UNESCO will feel a need to at least acknowledge their existence..

It would be cool if International Mother Language day had hit the Internet; a podcast would have been nice ..

Thanks,
GerardM

No comments: