Saturday, May 07, 2005

Swear words

When you compile words in a dictionary, at some stage you will be asked the question, what about swear words. My answer would be: why not. If someone insults me, I want to know what is said and, what it means. Another argument is that many resources do not carry swear words and for translators it is hard to find proper translations. So as far as I am concerned, I think we should include them.

As swear words are a rare resource in the lexicological sense of the word, it would enhance the Wiktionary. When we combine several relevant collections, the total is more than the sum of the parts..

One question I have no answer to, yet, a word like "godverdomme" of god damn me, is only valid in a religious conotation. Should it be in a religious glossary or, should we treat it as we treat categories and have "Christian swearwords" as a subcategory of "Christianity" and "swearwords"??

Thanks,
GerardM

No comments: